Tuesday, 24 April 2018

Flash Mill - Haslingden

This is a pencil sketch of "Flash Mill" which was off Grane Road, Haslingden
Kindly shared with us by Robert Warburton

This is more or less just has I remembered the old "Flash Mill" down just at the bottom of Grane Road in the dip as you turn right to enter the Industrial Units we have today.

What made this particular mill stand out from any other was during the dark hours, especially when the mass bright lit illumination shone out from that vast amount of open window space.  You get a idea from this sketch just how it could have looked.  It was striking and will always be a strong memory in my mind.

Sadly that's all it can be these days "a memory" because like most of our old mills once the cotton industry collapsed in our area  it was shortly after demolished and made way for modern Industrial units, which we have built on that ground today.

This is a photo of Flash Mill (Click over to enlarge)
This photo was kindly shared to us by Miriam Keen

A short history to FLASH MILL and thanks to Mike Rothwell

Flash Mill

Water-powered, woollen fulling mill of 1787 built by Thomas Wallwork.
About 1792 William Rae the elder and William Rae the younger, leased the buildings for use as a cotton mill. At the time of their bankruptcy four years later their machinery included a devil, three carding engines and 13 mules (1838 spindles)
In 1798 when Thomas Wallwork was again occupying the site, it consisted of an “engine house” and cotton mill.
The factory reverted to its original purpose during the first years of the 19th century, and in the 1820’s was worked by a flannel manufacturer John Entwistle.
 By 1848 John Warburton and his son Thomas, had leased the mill for hard waste spinning and weaving. In 1851 they employed a workforce of 89. For a time the firm also ran Hutch Bank Mill and possibly the “Little Mill” at Spring Vale.
 Extensions to Flash Mill included the installation of a beam engine to aid the water wheel.
Thomas Warburton became sole proprietor in 1863 when his Father retired. He was later joined by his sons John, Thomas and Albert.
During the early 1880’s the mill housed 5000 condenser mule spindles and 230 looms, weaving waste plains, twills and crepes. Motive power consisted of a breast wheel, 10’ diameter by 7’ wide, a beam engine with 25” cylinder and a horizontal high pressure washer.
 By this period Albert Warburton was running the mill alone. His sons, Thomas, Harold, George Victor and Albert junior later joined the business which was registered as Thomas Warburton & Sons Ltd in 1910. Major rebuilding and extension took place at the start of the 20th Century and included new sheds in 1901 and 1906. A horizontal tandem engine was commissioned in 1903.  In 1915 8908 mule spindles and 370 looms were running. Products included bag cloth, bandages, blankets, condenser plains and twills, domestics for the African markets and sheeting.
After World War Two the company became associated with A. Cover & Company Manchester converters and Exporters. When Albert Warburton (junior) died in 1950 he was succeeded by Arthur Cover as chairman and managing director, although members of the family remained on the board.
Flash Mill closed in April 1962 and it’s machinery was sold off later that year.
The mill was demolished in the mid 1980’s and replaced with modern buildings.
(Kindly shared to us by Mike Rothwell)

Extract below taken from "Town and Country Life", London (Kindly shared to us by Harry Warburton)

BRITISH TEXTILES - Warburton's quality goods for 150 years

Just as apathy is the greatest bar to achievement so is the matter of quality its most potent asset.  Industrially speaking, any manufacturing firm who produce merely to meet demand may be said to be apathetic; such concerns never reach the top run in the ladder to leadership, and rightly so, for "service" has no real meaning to them. For the qualities that combine

Flash Mill - Christmas 1936 (Click over to enlarge)

Flash Mill Workers (Click over to enlarge)

Flash Mill Workers (Click over to enlarge)

Flash Mill Grane Road
National Saving Club winners.

Flash Mill F.C Cup Winners (Click over to enlarge)

Haslingden Sport - BOWLING


Worsley Park Bowling Club early 1970s
L to R: John White, Mr. Fisher, Jack Davison, ?, Fred Ratcliffe Snr, Mr. Cunliffe, Ernie Taylor
Photo: Thanks to Derek Ratcliffe for sharing this photo

Old Worsley Park Bowling Club
Back: John White, Jack Davison, John Gill, ?, ?
Middle: Fred Ratcliffe, ?, Walter Rigg,
Front: George Heys, Bill Wade, Ray Johnson,Dick Garnett
Photo: thanks to Raymond Clegg Jnr

Untitled Bowls Competition - Worsley Park and Con Club photo:
probably held at the Memorial Gardens bowling greens

Colin Fletcher, Raymond Clegg,?,?, Mr. Fisher, Leslie Wroe,?,?,Leonard Riley, Arthur Cunliffe, Mr. Wilkinson, George Heys, ?, Jack Haworth and his son Stephen in front of him, ?,?.
Front Bowling: Jack Yates

Photo: Kindly shared to us by Peter Fisher

We are not even sure whether this is Haslingden or NOT?

Worsley Park Bowling Club members

Bowls team representing Haslingden in the Rossendale Civic Week (Click over to enlarge)
from L to R: Roy Barnes, Tom Barnes, John Booth, Jack Palmer, Clifford Shutt, Derek Blomley, Roy Holden and Raymond Clegg

Worsley Park Bowling Club Annual outing
Photo: Kindly shared to us by Ray Clegg Jnr. 
also archived under Wade/Clegg and HASLINGDEN SPORTS - BOWLING

Haslingden Bowling Club "A" team in 1978 who won the Ronald Bray Cup making it a double as they also won the division championship of Haslingden and District bowling league

Back. V Riley, T Duxbury, H Hamer, K Ashworth, j Ashworth, J Anderton, R Barnes, C Shutt.
Front. F Holden, T Lambert, A Ireland, R Clegg.

 Worsley Park Bowling
?,?, George Heys, ? Ray Clegg

Bowling Club photo
Ray Clegg, ? Mr. Duxbury, Mr. Michael Kay

John Ashman and Raymond Clegg (snr)
Photo: Raymond Clegg (jnr)

This photo shows ?, and Mr Ratcliffe and Raymond Clegg
Photo: via Raymond Clegg jnr